The Antinori family has been committed to the art of winemaking for over six centuries since 1385. House ANTINORI is a family business. Today the House is managed by the 26th generation of the family.
Antinori is a member of the Honorary Association of Oldest Wine Families (PRIMUM FAMILIAE VINI). Marquis Piero Antinori - the number one figure in Italy, he is not just a top-notch producer, but also an innovator and even a revolutionary (in the good sense of the word). He was the first to speak out against the outdated classification system in Italy (DOC, DOCG) which prohibited innovation and the use of French grape varieties. And he created the great wines that today are called Supertuscan - Tinganello, Solaia and Guado al Tasso.
Today Marquis Antinori owns vineyards in Chianti Classico (Tenuta Tignanello, Peppoli, Badia a Passignano estate), Montepulciano (La Bracesca estate), Montalcino (Pian delle Vigne estate) and Bolgheri (Tenuta Guado al Tasso). In addition, in his possession also wineries in Umbria (castle Castello della Sala), Piemonte (estate Prunnotto) and in Puglia (estate Tormaresca). He also develops new, interesting subregions of Toscana: Sovana and Maremma (Fattoria Aldobrandesca estate), cultivate grapes in Hungary, California and Chile. In 2002, the name Antinori entered the Hall of Fame magazine "Wine Spectator" for the greatest contribution to the "promotion of Italian wines in the world. Antinori has repeatedly chosen the best winery of the year, In Italy. A globally recognized wine critic, Robert Parker said: “Antinori is undoubtedly the greatest name in Italian winemaking. The main thing that happens during the tasting red wines of Antinori is-instilled insight into quality wines”.
The Tenuta Tignanello estate is in the heart of Chianti Classico, in the gently rolling hillsides between the Greve and Pesa river valleys. It extends over an area of 319 hectares (788 acres), of which 127 (313 acres) are dedicated to vines. The Antinori family, more than anywhere else, reflected its principles and working philosophy: to reunite tradition and modernity with wines that are firmly and truly associated with their place of origin, on these 127 hectares (320 acres) of vineyards. Solaia and Tignanello are the truly icons of these places, they were described in the international press, as "one of the most important wines in the history of Italian winemaking" and are a constant symbol for the Antinori family, as a constant opportunity for development, driven by absolute passion.
The Guado al Tasso estate is located in the small but prestigious Bolgheri DOC, on the coast of upper Maremma, about one hundred kilometers southwest from Florence. The estate covers an area of over 1000 hectares (2500 acres); 320 (790 acres) of which are planted with vines. The remainder is richly covered with fields of wheat, sunflowers and olive groves, set in a beautiful plain encircled by rolling hillsides known as the "Bolgheri Amphitheatre" due to its particular shape. The vineyards are located at an altitude of 45 to 60 meters above sea level. The vineyards are planted to Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Syrah, Cabernet Franc, Petit Verdot and Vermentino. Once the estate Tenuta Guado al Tasso was part of the feudal lands, and occupied about 4000 hectares, stretching for 7 km along the coastline. The noble Della Gherardesca family began practicing viticulture in the late 1600’s on their land in Bolgheri, but things really began to change under the guidance of Guido Alberto Della Gherardesca (1780-1854). He was a passionate about viticulture. He was appointed majordomo of Grand Duke Leopold II and then dedicated himself to enology in his family’s land in Maremma. In the 1930’s, the property was inherited by Carlotta Della Gherardesca Antinori (Piero Antinori’s mother) and her sister who was married to Mario Incisa Della Rocchetta (who received the nearby Tenuta San Guido).
The Pian delle Vigne estate is located 6 kilometers (3.5 miles) southwest of Montalcino. Pian delle Vigne stretches out over an area of 184 hectares (454 acres) of which 65 hectares (160 acres) are planted with vineyards. The estate’s namesake wine, Pian delle Vigne, represents Marchesi Antinori’s deeply personal interpretation of a prestigious and traditional wine such as Brunello di Montalcino. The Antinori family acquired the estate in 1995, the same year the first Brunello Pian delle Vigne was harvested. Pian Delle Vigne's name comes from a characteristic nineteenth century railway station located on the estate, few steps from the vineyards. Pian delle Vigne stretches out over an area of 184 hectares (454 acres) of which 65 hectares (160 acres) are planted with vineyards that grow at an altitude of approximately 130 meters (426 feet) above sea level and enjoy a southeastern exposure.
Badia a Passignano is located above the town of Sambuca Val di Pesa, just 3 kilometers south of the Tenuta Tignanello estate. The property extends over an area of 223 hectares (551 acres), of which 65 hectares (160 acres) are planted with vines. There is much conflicting information regarding the year the abbey was founded. In Pietro Aretino’s biography of San Zanobi, he states that the archbishop of Florence founded the Passignano monastery in 395, however the monastery’s oldest documents are dated 891. In 1049 the Badia became property of Vallombrosian order, a reformed branch of the Benedictines who specialized in viticulture and forestry. Historical archives in the monastery report many prominent events, including the stay of Galileo Galilei in 1587-1588 as a mathematics teacher. The monastery has undergone restoration and conservation work that has changed its structure and appearance over the centuries. The abbey's 65 hectares (160 acres), planted principally with Sangiovese, grow at an altitude that varies between 250 meters (820 feet) and 300 meters (984 feet) above sea level on calcareous soil in one of the most naturally endowed and beautiful environments in the Chianti Classico region.
Peppoli was first marketed in 1988, the first harvest dates from 1985, and is a wine that is both complex and at the same time well-structured, and also has a fruity character, full of diverse flavors. This style of wine is possible due to the unique microclimate of the region, in which the grapes used to make it grow. Grapes are grown in the valley, which has a particularly favorable natural conditions. Soil rich in minerals is ideal for growing the Sangiovese variety, which has excellent fruit characteristics. Peppoli Manor, located in the heart of the Chianti Classico region, extends over 100 hectares, 55 of which are vineyards.
La Braccesca estate’s property extends over an area of 508 hectares (1255 acres), of which 340 hectares (840 acres) are planted with vines. Two very different personalities live side by side in complete harmony: the traditional Nobile di Montepulciano and the innovative Syrah in Cortona, an emerging wine producing area with great potential.
The estate’s name comes from the historical farm that once stood there, owned by the Count of Bracci, whose coat of arms appears on the estate’s logo; an arm covered with armor brandishing a sword. Marchesi Antinori has owned the estate since 1990.
The Fattoria Aldobrandesca estate is located in the southern part of Tuscan Maremma, in the center of what is known as “the Etruscan Tuff zone”. First Etruscan then Roman, the small town of Sovana was conquered by the Lombards who assigned it to the powerful Aldobrandeschi family, lending their name to the estate. Fattoria Aldobrandesca represents an important challenge for Marchese Antinori, to rediscover an ancient varietal such as Aleatico and to develop a newer varietal, Malbèc, a grape that has found in this area the ideal terroir to express its potential.
The Prunotto estate is located in Alba, the most important city in the Langhe area halfway between Barbaresco and Barolo on the right side of the Tanaro river, on gentle plains surrounded by vineyards in the Langhe and Roero territories. Alba’s surrounding landscapes are captivating. The natural beauty of the gently rolling hills alternate with small sloping valleys covered by rows of meticulously cultivated vineyards.
The Antinori family, charmed by such rich natural beauty, unique vineyards and soils, decided to invest time and energy in this terroir confident that their efforts would make Prunotto what it is today, one of the most important winemaking estates in the Piedmont region.
Castello della Sala is located in Umbria, a short distance from the Tuscan border, about 18 kilometers from the historic city of Orvieto. Castello della Sala, a magnificent medieval manor with 500 hectares (1236 acres) of land 170 (420 acres) of which are planted with vineyards, is located halfway between the Paglia river and the summit of Monte Nibbio. Castello della Sala was built in 1350 by Angelo Monaldeschi della Vipera whose family arrived in Italy in the IX century following Charlemagne’s troops.
In summer of 1979, 25-year-old agronomist Renzo Cotarella joined Castello della Sala. Work began immediately on an ambitious project: to make a white wine able to age and improve over time. He began experimenting with Chardonnay and studying the interesting qualities of Grechetto, a variety able to give the wine flavors and aromas characteristic of the territory and typicity, or all the distinctive traits of the wine’s varietal and geographic provenance. His pursuit to make a wine that stood out for its character and personality became an obsession. After several disappointing years of trial and error, the 1985 vintage produced the first true Cervaro della Sala: one of the first Italian wines that underwent malolactic fermentation and aging in barriques.